Saturday 21 July 2012

Decisions, decisions...

Thomas Struth
Since I last wrote I have made the decision to stop my studies, I've spoken to SE about how to proceed...sooooo on the recommendations given of BY and KH he advised that I complete my MA and suspend until September 2013 after work load has calmed down, (validation - re-writes for BA's) SE thinks that my research is good, my theory is good and I can get the PhD! so I must stick with it...ok so now its the holidays I have made a start, I need to work on lit review and methodology with footnotes. The lit review concerns me as it brings back horrible memories of when I started the doctorate and received a foul mark, a mere pass as I recall, so I need to up my game, I also want to get into the habit of reading and reviewing as an on-going habit; thereby I don't end up having to review stuff again when the time come to writing the thesis!! (AS does this well). Reviews I need to do- Warhol, Robin Wood on Hitchcock, Hilliary Lloyd, Pierre Bismuth, Raimer Strange in particular who interviewed Bismuth and new find Thomas Struth*  The methodology will be ok, think through with a clear perspective and standpoints from others in the field.. 


The above film shows the work of Thomas Struth from early career to 2011...


Text taken from http://artnews.org/gallery.php?i=211&exi=6227 April 2007
Being close to this essentially private painting is something like going back to one’s emotional home’…. It means establishing an urgent relationship with the passage of events, with the existence Struth is asking himself about from his camera lens. Because deep down, a museum is a circumstantial stage, a place like any other that the artist doesn’t perceive with its connotation: there, he offers a straightforward view of the procession of people, those that gradually gain more presence in [his] work. … This parade of types... are new and concrete inhabitants of the metropolis. In Struth’s museum, a historical line is drawn that transcends all those who live in the instant: that, too, is existence.” TS


Signing off back tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment