Thursday 20 October 2011

camera, action and supervisory session

good day today (well kind of) but will come back to that later, I dont wont to spoil things now i am on a writing flow..........this morning online session with SE ref. IPR was informative, I think im getting there and now we have requested more time is a relief. Im going to make some notes from that session to help myself think...here goes:
Intrtoduction (50-100)
Summary of rights (organisations) (300)

what I do & why IP is important to me? (100)

discussion of critical issues in your practice...evidence from  (1000)
1.case studies from your practice
2. case studies from your lit review

summary of findings (with focus on relevance in your practice) 300   (total 1800).

I think im going to look at copyright, seems to be the most relevant to me, in particular to research (papers) and virtual application (i.e. blogs, educational tools to enhance and inform leaning etc etc) Ive looked at an article on the Guardian ref live chats (June 2012) 'Live Chat: intellectual Property Rights' I hoped there would be something to watch on youtube, but unfortunatly only a blog showing highlights (dull)! why have a live chat and not post it up as a recording event for all to see??? anyway through that article I have found 'Web2right' focuses on cultural and practical technologies (web 2,0) that are being deployed to engage and communicate with staff and students across HE and FE education...this is a grey area and is still unfolding, Ive printed lots off but it is only the foundations, I need to locate something more gritty that is cutting edge and what is interesting case study...this is as far as Ive got other than buying yet another book 'Waterstones guide 2008 guide' and yes its all about Intellectual Property Rights..!!

....moving on to grander things and what I have based todays picture on (show studio) is my online supervisory session with SE (2:30-3:45) I have to say wasn't expecting it to go on too long as I did not have much to report since our last meeting 2 weeks ago. (although I have made contact with Ian Truelove ' Leedsmet Wednesday am to discuss Cagd website) but thats it...so busy all the time! oh and there was London visit.
...right I need to write the conversation down whilist still fresh in my head and get it typed up onto doc supervisory form to send to SE. SE mentioned from last meeting about bringing back his online 'portfolio' as a vechicle for me to use for ddp, this is still not confirmed...SE also mentioned talking to Eric Bohemian about his work with design studios...to question what he has done, outcomes and direction...(so shall email)

now comes the hard bit...I must get into the habit of recording conversations, I have a dictaphone and I don't use it?? whats the point...so I make life hard for myself and scribble frantically and then it doesn't make sense...
...ok here goes, what properly started the conversation is I guess is the IP module and the fact that I dont want my focus to be a 'Virtual' one, (so should I scrap the Virtual research, hell leave it for a minute) so only in the sense that it will used as a tool for students to perform their creative journey through, evidenicing creative sitiuations. A window if you like to the wider audience.
so the Aim is then to capture and communicate the dynamics of the design process through some form of time based media. The process should be seen as a living outcome, the raw product. SE relates time to music as being part of it, in terms of the rhythm, where as the design process works on lots of different speeds...but doesnt music conform in the same way, working also to different speeds particulary when creating a sound the same issues are still there, I wounder if SE is suggesting in time and space, that it stays where it is and the design process can allow itself to be interpreted, no what rubbish, that isn't right?? i will have to ask him again..
questions to ask myself: 1. could the 'design process' be a part of time flexable condensed down (showing key parts) or not? ; 2. how can I show the performance of the design process in a way that is engaging and lends itself to an immdediate appreciation as a process but also a product?; 3. could the design process be a step through journey with the designer?; 4. how do I see design process as a conceptual narrative in education.
what is the purpose; firstly using showstudio as point of inspiration, could I employ the effectiveness of their website and put it in an educational one, to focus on the process, as the final product, SE said something rather interesting in that when seeing an exhibition of final works is easy to read and understand, however a room full of design processes takes more time to digest and will need time to think over; just had a thought there about music, who would want to see the process of making music?? wouldn't you rather see the end result is that the difference SE was referring too(perhaps not). finally to show the process as product through the use of time base media; to use as assessment, peer learning, e-Portfolio and industry etc etc. did I get it all, need to over.  laslty I discuss with SE that I would be learning myself how to film and edit as part of my portfolio. SE suggested that this could contribute to capturing timebased creative work, recording the creative narrative..think about what is important and what isnt. A CHAllenge...not about the recording but about the making, the collaboration, the individual journey...signing off 

Next meeting date is scheduled for thursday 17th November 2:30-3:30 

No comments:

Post a Comment